Site submitted by: Steve Lee
River Mile 849.50 — Left Descending Bank
This 1922 monument was erected by the Daughters of American Revolution in memory of the Ramsey County Civil War dead. Done in Cold Spring granite, the 36-foot-high monument meant to show man's nature by the roughness of the base rock, which is smoothed by the effect of courage and patriotism to the height of supreme sacrifice and peace as shown by the mounted cross. The crowning lamp and flame signify the torch of patriotism, lighted by the sacrifice of these men and women (Saint Paul Parks Department Memorial notebook). An adventurer can take the footpaths beyond the stone wall to the falls or to an overlook of the river. Or one can approach the falls from the eastern point of the ravine at the foot of Snelling Avenue.